Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The blessings of Revelation

Did you know there were blessings in Revelations? I didn’t.

Rev. 1:3
Blessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of this prophecy and keep those things which are written in it; for the time is near.

Rev 14:13
Then I heard a voice from heaven saying to me, “Write: ‘Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on.’”
“Yes,” says the Spirit, “that they may rest from their labors, and their works follow them.”

Rev 16:15
Behold, I am coming as a thief. Blessed is he who watches, and keeps his garments, lest he walk naked and they see his shame.

Rev 19:9
Then he said to me, “Write: ‘Blessed are those who are called to the marriage supper of the Lamb!’” And he said to me, “These are the true sayings of God.”

Rev 20:6
Blessed and holy is he who has part in the first resurrection. Over such the second death has no power, but they shall be priest of God and of Christ, and shall reign with Him a thousand years.

Rev 22:7
Behold, I am coming quickly! Blessed is he who keeps the words of the prophecy of this book

Rev 22:14
Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree o life, and may enter through the gates into the city.

There are 7 beatitudes here...
Blessed is he who reads, hears & keeps these words.
Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord
Blessed is he who watches & keeps his garments
Blessed are those who are called to the marriage supper of the Lamb
Blessed is he who has part in the 1st resurrection
Blessed is he who keeps the words of the prophecy of this book
Blessed is he who does His commandments

Five encourage faithfulness in the face of fear, persecution, and deception in order to receive the blessings of the marriage supper of the Lamb, the millennial reign, and the New Jerusalem. Two - , Rev. 1:3 and Rev. 22:7, deal specifically with the blessing that comes to the person who keeps the words of the prophecy. They bookend the prophecy as an encouragement to believers to take the prophecy serious, to receive the revelation of Jesus’ majestic personality and plan, and to engage the content of the book in active partnership. (Allen Hood)

I’ve done some studies on the Beatitudes in Mat 5, so I’m now excited to start on these Beatitudes in Revelation. Wonder if they are hooked together by any chance?

2 comments:

Sam. said...

Wow, I did not know that.

Wilmy said...

read Revelation to your spouse, to your kids: OUT LOUD. Be Blessed